The College of Art + Design requires that all students obtain a laptop computer. Different concentrations have different requirements. The basic requirements are listed below. LSU offers student pricing agreements for various hardware and software purchases through the LSU TigerWare website. Educational discounts are also available through the Apple Education Store and the Dell Education Store.
Suggested Hardware Configuration for 2013
Our suggested specification is for an Apple MacBook Pro because most artists and designers use Macs and consider its interface more humane and productive. Also, the MacBook Pro comes bundled with much of the software that artists and designers use. However, LSU’s network supports all commercially available computing platforms.
The following is the configuration for the suggested MacBook Pro:
- 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (Upgrade to higher Ghz if you can)
- 8GB RAM
- Flash Storage OR 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
- 15″ or 17″ widescreen Retina display
- Backlit Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
- Accessory Kit
- We also suggest the AppleCare Protection Plan (warranty coverage)
Suggested Additional Computer Accessories:
- 8 GB or larger USB Memory Stick
- Apple Magic Mouse
- Microsoft Office Professional Suite (available at no charge from TigerWare)
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium, latest version (for Graphic Design)*
- *Students in the Digital Art concentration or those who plan to use video editing software should purchase the latest version of the Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection
Software Subscription Option
Adobe Creative Cloud is a major development in the distribution of the Creative Suite tools. Students may wish to consider a subscription to it before purchasing the individual Adobe products or suite of products. The student subscription is approximately $30 per month. It entitles students to use the full Adobe Suite of products for Graphic Design, Web, Motion Graphics, Video and Photography (something like 26 products in all). In addition, you never have to worry about working on outdated software if they are a part of the service. There are also tutorials for the software on the site. A very good Q and A on this product is available here: http://scottkelby.com/2012/my-adobe-creative-cloud-quick-qa/
There are additional software and hardware items such as a scanner, home printer, tablet and stylus that many of our students feel are essential supplies as they move to the senior level in the program
For additional information on these computer requirements, please contact the School of Art office at 225-578-5411 or at email@example.com.