The School of Art requires that all students obtain a laptop computer. Specific requirements for students studying digital art, graphic design, and photography are listed below. LSU offers student pricing agreements for various hardware and software purchases through LSU TigerWare. Educational discounts are also available through the Apple Education Store and the Dell Education Store.
Suggested Hardware Configuration for 2015
Many of our students purchase the Apple MacBook Pro as most artists and designers use Macs and consider its interface more humane and productive. Also, the MacBook Pro comes bundled with some of the software that artists and designers use. However, LSU’s network supports all commercially available computing platforms.
We recommend the following specifications for the MacBook Pro:
- 15″ widescreen Retina display
- 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (upgrade=ing to higher Ghz is always beneficial)
- 512GB flash storage (bigger is better over the long term but the terabyte option is pricey)
- Backlit keyboard (English) & user’s guide
- Accessory kit
- We also suggest the AppleCare Protection Plan (warranty coverage)
Suggested Additional Computer Accessories:
- 16 GB or larger USB memory stick
- Apple Magic Mouse
- Microsoft Office Professional Suite (available at no charge from TigerWare)
- Adobe Creative Cloud subscription
Adobe Creative Cloud is a development in the distribution of the Adobe Creative Suite tools. Students may wish to consider a subscription instead of purchasing individual Adobe products or a suite of products as these are increasingly difficult to find. The student subscription is in the range of $20 to $30 per month. It entitles students to use the full Adobe Suite of products for graphic design, web, motion graphics, video, and photography. There are also tutorials for the software on the site.
Additional software and hardware items our students feel are essential supplies as they move to the senior level include a scanner, home printer, a tablet, and a stylus.