World Class Facilities
The College of Art & Design Fabrication Laboratory is a digital fabrication laboratory for students and faculty funded in part through the LSU Student Technology Fee program. The lab provides the capacity to create a multidisciplinary, active, team-learning environment by leveraging large-scale digital fabrication equipment for cutting, shaping, and forming metal, wood, and plastic toward the resolution of creative design problems.
Fab Lab Machines
- Carbide 3D – 8″x 8″ x 3″ mini mill – for cutting foam, wood, plastic and aluminum
- Forest Scientific CNC Router – 4′ x 8′ x 6″ – for cutting foam, wood, plastic and aluminum
- Tormach PCNC 1100 large bed vertical mill – for metals – aluminum, steel, ETC
- EZ Plasma CNC plasma table with Scribe – 4′ x 4′ – 2D cutting metals from 20 gauge up to 5/8”
- BOSS laser cutter – 40″ x 55″ – 150 watt – cardboard, plastic, wood up to ½”
- Formecc 686 vacuum former -24″ x 24″ bed x 12″ Draft – for forming a variety of plastics
- (2) WASP CLAY 2040 ceramic 3D printers – 200 x 200 x 400mm prints porcelain and smooth clay bodies
- 3D Potter – Potterbot 9 – 415 x 415 x 500mm print volume with direct extrusion for smooth clay bodies
- (5) Formlabs Form2 SLS (selective laser centering) 3D printers – prints in plastic, elastic, castable wax and experimental ceramic materials
- Markforged Onyx PRO carbon fiber reinforced nylon printer with continuous fiberglass reinforcement – used to print end use parts for robots, drones and other machines
- Prusa – FDM (fuse deposition modeling) printer for printing – PLA, ABS, PET, HIPS, Flex PP, Ninjaflex, Laywood, Laybrick, Nylon, Bamboofill, Bronzefill, ASA, T-Glase, Carbon-fibers enhanced filaments, Polycarbonates, ETC
- Ultimaker S5 – Large build volume 13 x 9.4 x 11.8″, dual head printer capable of printing engineering materials & Ultimaker S2+ Connect
- Raise 3D Pro 2 plus – 12 x 12 x 24 Build volume, dual head printer capable of printing engineering materials)
- Big Rep – large format FDM printer with dual extruders capable of printing 1 cubic meter prints
- In addition to these tools we share four accessible UE5 robots with mechanical engineering as well as large pay load FUNUC industrial robot. We are in the early stages of offering integrated multidisciplinary courses across the College of Art & Design and Mechanical Engineering that train students on their use and explore ways to integrate their potential into design research.
These enhancements will have a broad impact for university education, recruitment, and research in the application of digital fabrication technology in architecture, art, engineering, interior design, landscape architecture, music, and digital media.