A new online course taught by LSU School of Art Assistant Professor Richard Doubleday teaches professional procedures for solving design problems from first ideas through finished presentations with an emphasis on the integration of letterforms and graphics. Enroll anytime and complete the course entirely online and at your own pace.
Graphic Design I (ART 2554) will help you master:
- Basic typography and design concepts
- Principles of gestalt
- The interpretive power of typography
- How graphic design modulates printed language
- Technical basics of time-based software to narrate a story
- Historical significance and contemporary application of design principles
- Digital imaging aesthetics and techniques
- Emerging technologies for design and image making
- Techniques in digital illustration and basic animation
- Proper preparation of images for printed and multimedia applications
- Developing an iterative design process in the context of realistic projects
Learn about the basic principles of design, composition, and form-making in a convenient, flexible online format. The course includes projects, online critiques, and feedback from peers and the instructor to help you develop a design process and build your critique skills. This course provides a rigorous understanding of these foundational principles and skills, which can serve as a strong base for future visual arts course work.
Graphic Design I (ART 2554) meets the criteria for a required course for Visual Communications and other minors. Non-majors are welcome to enroll. No design or art prerequisites are required. Everything you need to know is included in the online course or in supplementary online tutorials in Adobe Creative Suite design applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and After Effects). Some prior knowledge of these tools is helpful for you to get started quickly.
Check with your advisor to be sure Distance Learning Programs are right for your degree. This online course does not currently meet the requirements of a studio credit for students in the Bachelor of Fine Arts graphic design concentration.
Enroll now at outreach.lsu.edu!