The Doctor of Design (DDes) program is aimed at professionals-in-practice and academics in all areas of cultural production, stewardship, preservation, interpretation, management, and planning who are seeking to gain additional expertise in aspects of their field and are interested in expanding their professional capacities into emerging and cross-disciplinary areas. The program of study provides an advanced professional credential through rigorous, research-based study and practice possible at the state’s flagship university.
The DDes program is particularly interested in applicants who, through professional activities, have identified an area of potential research interest that coincides with DDes faculty research interests and LSU resources. Prospective students are encouraged to learn about College of Art & Design faculty and then communicate with faculty whose areas of research interest align with theirs. While having a faculty supervisor is not required for admission, prospective students are encouraged to have conversations with potential faculty advisors to determine faculty interest in directing the student’s individual course of research and serving as supervisor of the student’s committee.
The DDes program welcomes applicants who have a graduate degree in a field related to their proposed course of study, such as the following:
- Design: architecture; landscape architecture; studio arts; art history; interior design
- Environmental studies: biology, botany; horticulture; physical sciences
- Humanities and cultural studies: liberal arts, philosophy; history; literature
- Social sciences: anthropology; archeology; geography
- Public policy and nonprofit administration: governmental cultural and environmental policies; nonprofit roles in stewardship management
- Historic preservation: urban history; cultural landscapes
- Museum studies: pedagogy, administration; curatorial
- Community engagement: urban and community design; public policy
The best way to determine if the DDes program is right for you is to visit LSU’s campus and get acquainted with DDes faculty and current students. We encourage potential applicants to contact Professor Michael Desmond, the College’s Director of Graduate Studies, to arrange for a visit. We will be happy to meet with you and introduce you to faculty related to your particular interest.